Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Flyball!

Yesterday was obedience training day for Henry and I. Hahaha...probably really should read training day for me! Henry is a quick learner and it is so, so, so fun! We are working towards our first obedience title..CD for Companion Dog. (What do they do for a CD...here's a link, Companion Dog Title) He's doing a great job! Me, I still have plenty of work to do.

It was while we were doing our sit-stays (duration 3 minutes) and the instructor likes to challenge the dogs and sometimes will walk by with a treat or a toy, providing distractions that hopefully don't entice your dog to move from their sit. Hmmm, we are not always successful. Well, yesterday, she brought out the tennis ball. I knew we were in trouble!!! Henry will do most anything for a tennis ball fetch! It only took her one bounce of the ball and Henry was off!!! I think there was only one thing going through his head, "Gotta get that ball!" So she says, "You gotta get that boy in flyball."

Funny how some things work...I have been reading more and more sites regarding flyball. I know Tollers can do very well in this team sport and what a fantastic outlet for the higher drive breeds. So, Henry and I are going to receive 1-1 training from our instructor next week to start training some flyball basics...our instructor is on a flyball team and said they're always looking for new dogs! :-) Jumping hurdles and fetching a tennis ball...Henry will think he's gone to heaven!

If you want to learn more, here's a link to the NAFA (North American Flyball Association). I'll keep you posted on our progress!

1 comment: